Tourism in Albi
Albi city listed as a Unesco world heritage site
Albi is a city coiled on the banks of the Tarn that seduces with its gentle way of life and its countless treasures inherited from a historically rich past. Albi's historic center is full of gems: its medieval houses in cobblestone streets, each of the buildings bears witness to its past.
Albi is an episcopal city listed as a cultural heritage of humanity by Unesco since July 2010. A unique city to discover during your stay in our camping in the Tarn.
From the top of the Tower of the collegiate church Saint Salvi, you will discover a privileged view of the district with its unique architecture, which has hardly changed since the Middle Ages. Until the 18th century, this tower allowed to watch over the city, the episcopal palace of Berbie and the cathedral. Impressive, it dominates the main square of Albi.
The Cathedral of Albi is distinguished by the material used in its construction; Sainte-Cécile is the largest brick cathedral in the world that turns red or ochre depending on the light.
Top 5 things to see in Albi
The places of interest of Albi are numerous:
- the Saint Cecilia Cathedral, the largest Gothic brick cathedral in the world. It was built on a rocky outcrop and overlooks the Tarn; the Palais de la Berbie and its gardens, former episcopal palace, both witnesses of the 13th century, 11th century Pont-vieux, 16th century mansions, 12th century Hotel Fenasse... No one is surprised anymore, in front of such a profusion of remarkable sites, that the city of Albi has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Albi is also the birthplace of the painter Toulouse-Lautrec, child of the city, whose works are exhibited in the superb episcopal palace of the Berbie. You will discover a collection of paintings, drawings and personal belongings dedicated to the painter.
- Go to the discovery of the archaeo crypt of Sainte Sigolène, an archaeological site, a real artificial labyrinth, with a rich collection of objects dating from prehistory to the Middle Ages. You can learn all about these ancestral ways of life.
- But also the Academy of Miniatures; it presents the work of the artist Annie Jaurès, who throughout her life will reproduce rooms of her childhood home, Parisian streets in their entirety. After the visit, enjoy the tea room and the flower garden, for a bucolic walk.
- Children will be delighted and will spend an unforgettable day at the Cap'Découverte multi-leisure center. A amusement park that offers urban sliding sports with an indoor and outdoor skate-park, an insane rail sled, a large multi-activity water area and a mountain bike field. But also paintball or mini-golf.
- The leisure base of Pratgraussals which is a relaxing institution located less than 700 meters from the city center of Albi, on 17 hectares where you can fish, organize a barbecue, play soccer or tennis. It is there during the summer that concerts are organized including the famous Pause Guitare festival. Children will discover a small cabin built with reclaimed wood and the insect hotel.
- The exoticamis zoological space where you will discover an indoor vivarium and an outdoor park housing various animals: rare birds, farm animals, monkeys and meerkats. The youngest can even put themselves in the shoes of a caretaker for a morning.
For the more athletic, a twenty different itineraries and 5 free bicycle routes have been set up along the Tarn. While riding along the Tarn, discover in a different way a good number of charming villages that will gladly lend themselves to a break over a drink or a local specialty.